Wednesday, August 18, 2010

8/18/10 T-Minus 2 Days



I think I've finally gotten all my stuff together for the big USA motorcycle adventure... new windshield, XM radio, hard trunk, soft luggage, Pirelli tires, tune-up, Kevlar riding suit with armor and lots of vents, boots, gloves and lots more cool stuff. Julianna started high school today at Archbishop Mitty and tonight we are going to dinner at House of Gengi to celebrate Kelly's birthday.

In retrospect I'm glad I delayed the start of my adventure until August 20th since most of the U.S. has been under oppressive heat warnings all summer. I'm hoping September weather will be more comfortable.

A key tenet of my adventure plan is that there is no firm plan, just a rough outline. Another key is to travel on scenic backroads and not on major interstate freeways as much as possible. My tentative route is to ride up the Pacific coast from San Jose to Vancouver. Then I'll mosey back down through Washington and pick-up the Oregon Trail in Idaho. The Oregon Trail is the route that many early settlers took from the Northeast U.S. to the Pacific Northwest in the 1800's. It is mostly comprised of highway 20 and 26 and runs through lots of cool places like Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt. Rushmore, Chicago, Cleavland [Rock'n roll hall of fame] and upstate New York [Baseball hall of fame]. If the weather is nice, I'll cruise up to Montreal and Quebec City before heading south through New England and down the East Coast to Virginia or maybe the Carolinas. The no-plan-plan is then to head west through WV and KY before picking up Route 66 in St. Louis and taking it all the way back to CA.

That's all for now...Time to get ready for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment