Monday, August 23, 2010

8/23/10 - A Day in Portland, OR







Greatings from Seattle! It's one of my favorite towns on earth.

You wanna know what really pisses me off more than the Giants' trying to sabbatouge their season? It's the diabolicle low-flow shower head. This thing is the invention of pinko comunists, pure and simple. Worse yet, the plumber at my Comfort Suite has Dyslexia whereby he set cold as hot and hot as cold. The more I tried to cool the feeble trickle of water, the hotter it became. Comunism! CCCP... Ca-ca-ca-comunist-pigs!

Fortuantely, my day improved considerably after my morning shower misadventure. I was able to hook-up with my buddies, David and Ronan in Portland this morning. David was packing for a a family camping trip, but Ronan and I had lunch at an excellent little bistro in downtown Portland called VQ [Veritable Quandary http://www.veritablequandary.com/] and I recommend it highly if you are ever in Portland. Picture of Ronan included in this post. Sorry ladies, Ronan is happily married with three kids, including a newborn baby girl.

After lunch I headed to the Alphabet District of Portland with the intention of visiting Clear Creek Distillery, makers of God's favorite nectar, Northwest pure alembic distilled pear brandy - 30 lbs. of pears per bottle. Check it out at http://clearcreekdistillery.com/pear.html Unfortunately, I didn't find it, but I did enjoy wandering around the Alphabet District. More Hippies than in Berkeley - see pics of "Mary Janes Glass Pipes".

I hit the road for Seattle about 3:30 and I was fortunate to use the car pool lane since the rest of the highway was severely constipated. As I crossed the bridge over the Columbia River into Washington, I noticed a huge NBC Sunday Night Football tractor truck. I suppose NBC's next broadcast game must be in Seattle.

About 30 miles outside of Seattle, I stopped in Olympia, WA, the state capitol. When I was a kid, I remember advertisements for Olympia Beer that featured people who had seen "Arteseans" that make the pure water to make Oly Beer. I went on a search for Artesians, but rememberd that they are nocturnal, so I took pics of the capitol instead. Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSnqQFY8fZ0&feature=related

When I pulled-up to my hotel tonight I saw an eagle fly away from it's nest atop a cellular antenna tower - see pic. Tonight I'm staying in a hotel about 400 yards from Lake Washington and it it truly a spectacular vista.

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. John, can you go back an take a pic of the eagel in its cell tower nest for my 5 yr old Ari?

    ReplyDelete