Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/24/10 - Sleepy in Seattle














Today I awoke to an over-zealous toothless maid who wanted to clean my room despite the fact that I sleeping in the room. This woman was scary ugly and she insisted that I had already checked out. After a few minutes of negotiating, I convinced her that I had not checked out and I was staying another night. She looked strikingly similar to Wichy Poo from the early 70's show HR Puff N Stuff [picture above for those of you who are too young to remember the show]. She has definitely been ridden hard and put away wet! Back to bed until around noon.

I'm pleased to report that the pinko communist shower police have not struck Washington. There's plenty of water in this state and the showers flow freely as God intended. I had lunch and then went to Best Buy to get: (1) an XM satellite radio antenna that actually works; (2) a charger for my camera battery; and (3) a radar detector. I'm so used to shopping at Fry's where the clerks are recruited from mental institutions, that I was actually shocked when this kid walked me around the store to collect all my goodies. He actually knew details and differentiating features of the products he sells. Wow, this is truly a novel concept.

I came back to my hotel and played with the new gadgets and then walked down to Lake Washington. I met a guy walking his 5-year old yellow lab, Buddy, and we chatted about dogs. I took a few pictures of the lake, then I came back to the hotel and watched the evening news. After 4 days of isolation from news, I'm happy to report that the world is still completely fucked-up. Politicians are still up to their same shenanigans, the economy is in the crapper, Pakistan is still a complete shit-hole, suicide bombers are still doing their thing in crowded markets and Iran now has enriched uranium. I almost forgot the top story: A judge finalized Tiger Woods' divorce today and it only cost him his wife, his kids, his dignity, his sponsors, his golf game and half a billion dollars. A spokesman for Camp Woods released a statement saying that Tiger will immediately begin a regimen of indiscriminately banging skanky women in hopes that he can get his mojo back in time for the Ryder Cup matches in Wales this fall [or something like that]. On a happy note, BP reported today that 200,000,000 barrels of oil inexplicably disappeared from the Gulf so the clean-up effort can wind-down immediately. Why can't we get more happy news stories like this?

It was pretty hot here today [about 90 degrees F - I know it was 110 in San Jose today, but for Seattle, it was hot] so I waited until around 7:30 to ride into town for dinner. Statistics show that Seattle has a high rate of depression and suicide because it rains so much, but I like it here. The town is pretty big, but it's also quaint and easy to navigate. The mountain and ocean vistas are spectacular, especially the completely snow covered view of Mt. Rainier in the distance. The food is great and there are little restaurants and bars everywhere. The coffee's good and the fish mongers throw 20 lb. salmon's around like footballs. What's not to like? I had dinner at my favorite Seattle restaurant, Place Pigalle, that overlooks Puget Sound and watched the sunset. http://www.placepigalle-seattle.com/. I sat at the bar and watched the chefs doing their thing in a tiny little kitchen that's about 10' X 10'. Those guys must get along well to turn out great food in such cramped quarters. After dinner, I indulged in a snifter of God's nectar, Clear Creek Pear brandy. Life is good!

Tomorrow I'm riding up to Vancouver, B.C. and I'll plan to spend a couple of days there before heading east on the Oregon Trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment