Saturday, October 2, 2010

10/2/10 – Getting My Kicks on Route 66


















The weather report called for mostly sunny, but it rained like crazy this morning. I shoved-off at around 11:30 under cloudy skies, cool temps in the low 60’s and generally windy conditions, but fortunately, no rain. There was a big food and music festival in downtown called “A Taste of St. Louis” that I couldn’t pass-up. I rode to the festival and quickly decided to try Rib City’s ribs. Although based in St. Louis, they recommend their baby back ribs and I can attest that they’re fantastic and better than their St. Louis ribs. I enjoyed my ribs and a Budweiser while watching the Food Network Champion of Chopped, Marc Bynum, doing a cooking demo and yucking it up with the crowd. It was a great event.

By 1:30, I was on the road southwest to Nixa, MO to meet Betty and Arnold Tunaley. I rode on I- 44, that’s basically the old Route 66. I passed by Ft. Leonard Wood, which is an Army base that some of my friends from High School got to enjoy during Boot Camp. However, they called it Ft. Leonard Wood, Misery because it’s freezing cold in the winter and Africa hot in the summer. No fun for a fortnight of war games, but not bad to ride through in the fall. The rock formations and trees here are much different than in the northeast. Most roads are carved through sedimentary limestone that alternates between whitish and reddish colors that were blasted-out to make room for the road. The trees are still mostly green down here and the scenery along my 250+ mile ride today was nice, but the wind was a bit fierce.

I arrived in Nixa around 6:15 and quickly found Betty and Arnold’s lovely home on King’s Carriage Road. Arnold told me his first bike was a 1927 Norton 500 and he’s been riding for about 70 years. He recently semi-retired his last BMW with a sidecar after about 300,000 miles and he’s got a new one they purchased on Ebay from the BMW Rider’s Association. Arnold is an aerospace mechanical engineer and he has modified all his bikes to ensure maximum comfort in the sidecar for his lovely bride. I love the way he calls her Lovey and the way they compliment each other is indeed a key reason for their 62 years of wedded bliss. I could tell that they have a true love and they understand what’s important in life. I aspire to live-up to their standards of courtesy and mutual adoration with my lovely bride and family.

After a tour through the shed to see the customizations of the older K-series BMW, we adjourned to the kitchen for a comforting supper of homemade chicken pot pie and red wine. Then we enjoyed desert of sherry wine cake and fresh brewed coffee before checking out their latest ride. I truly enjoyed my visit with the Tunaley’s and we seem in agreement on the fundamental issues of our time.

By the time I set-off it was crystal clear and cold [tonight a freeze is expected]. Within about 15 minutes I landed at a nice motel and called Helen to tell her all about my wonderful visit with her parents. Tonight I’m planning to chart my route home and get some good rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment