Thursday, October 7, 2010

10/6/10 – Rocky Mountain High















Today I started-off slowly; I threw in a load of wash and watched Mr. Deeds on HBO. It was a typical Adam Sandler movie; funny but corny and predictable. I negotiated a noon check-out with Mr. Patel. If check-out is at 11:00 and you want noon, you must start your negotiation at 1:00 and let him think he has won the negotiation at noon. The epilogue of my blog will contain details of how to live in motels for many weeks.

I have been to Denver many times and mostly I've just seen the airport. On this visit I wanted to see the town a bit more than just a one night stand. My goal was to have lunch downtown, see the Capitol and take a tour of the Denver Mint. Instead, I had a delicious Mexican lunch for $6, I took pictures of the Capitol and the Mint closed at 1:00. Plan B was to tour through the Denver Art Museum. King Tut is here, but I decided to see the regular art galleries. If you’re into western art, as I have become, this is the place for you. Lot’s of Frederic Remington’s works and other western sculptures, as well as a great array of ancient Mexican art from the Toltec’s, Mayan’s, Aztecs and other Mesoamericans.

There are two things that really caught my attention at the capitol in Denver: The number of squirrels and the number of homeless. If I were homeless or a squirrel, I’d be long-gone from here. My assessment is that Denver’s glass buildings are just as boring as Chicago’s, but it’s a cleaner city, it’s got majestic mountains nearby and it tries harder to be great, so I declare it a nice city [unlike Chicago]. Also, because it’s the capitol, it has a golden dome that give’s it extra credit. By the way, I forgot to mention that I rode through Topeka, KS this week and it seemed like a perfectly nice Capitol city even though I had no time to stop in.

I arrived at Stacy’s home in Westminster, CO at around 5:30 and met her husband Tony and their grown son Joey. We had fun reminiscing about old times and eating moose meat that Tony shot and Stacy helped drag to the truck. After dinner we chatted about all the stuff that’s wrong with our current situation and played fetch with their little dog, Stoli. Stacy and I stayed-up and caught-up on several decades during a brief thunderstorm before she retired and I called home to a worried wife. I’m sorry Dear.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you were stopping in at Stacy's place! I love CO & spent 3 mos this year exploring. Not so much downtown (I think Lo-Do is the only place worth visiting), but rather spent my time in places like Evergreen, Estes Park, Breckenridge & Vail. Loved all those mountian towns.

    ReplyDelete