Thursday, October 7, 2010

10/7/1- The Rocky Mountain Way





After chatting with Stacy And her family until the wee hours of this morning, I called home way too late and then started blogging for all-y’all. By the time I finally got to sleep it was after 4:00 and I successfully negotiated a very late check-out from Casa-de-Gerhard’s Rest Home for Transient Bikers. I came out of my cave around noon and struck-up a great conversation with the proprietor, Stacy-Rae. We continued to catch-up on everything that’s transpired in the past 25 years of our lives since we last spoke. I told her the true story of a friend who was airlifted from the top of the Rocky Mountains because of an apparent heart attack that turned-out to be exhaustion, coupled with an excessive dose of Chicken Pills. If you haven’t heard the story, ask me about it sometime.

Stacy had stern words for me regarding my description of her contribution in bagging the 1,100 Lb. moose with her husband last season. Correction to yesterday’s Blog-post: Stacy not only dragged the beast to their truck, but she also field-dressed him and single-handedly butchered the meat into individual vacuum-sealed packages in the woods and then packed them on ice. Then she worked into the night mounting the head before they came home for a moose steak BBQ. I was still a little tired when she told me the details, but I think that’s what she said. I’m truly sorry for the feeble description of Stacy’s contribution to the kill in yesterday’s post.

After a late lunch, I shoved-off from Casa-Gerhard at around 4:00. It was warm in Denver, but 30 miles west, I was over 11,000 feet up in the mountaind and had to stop to change into winter gloves. There was fresh powder on the high peaks and it was a gorgeous ride. Because it was so late, I had little time to stop and take pictures, so you’ll have to take my word for it. The Rockies’ are different from the Sierras in that there are more steep rocks [hence the name] and they seem even more vast, but they don’t have Lake Tahoe. What they do have is pine trees clinging on the rocks and golden aspens lining the banks of every stream and river. The Aspens also pepper the pine forests with beautiful golden foliage. Fall colors in the Rockies is worth adding to your bucket list and if you like to ski or snowboard, there are many famous resorts on I-70, like Vail, Aspen and lots more.

At 6:30 there was lightning flashing in the distance and loud thunder. It wasn’t particularly cold and fortunately there was no rain, until there was. The skies opened-up in the middle of a narrow, windy, steep mountain pass with lots of road construction, big rigs and oncoming traffic with their bright lights on. It was a treacherous ride for 18 miles to the city of Glenwood Springs, CO where I pulled-off and got a very nice motel room at America‘s Best Value Inn. The Polish woman at the front desk gave me a copy of the Aspen Daily News and I read a great front-page article entitled: You Can Own a Famous Bong. The author found the bong while diving in local dumpsters. After doing lots of investigative research, he determined the bong was used in filming of the classic epic film called "Cougar Hunting" and he’s now trying to auction the bong to obtain a retirement nest-egg [I’m not making this up].

Tomorrow I’m planning to ride to the Salty City and pay a $1 initiation fee to a private club, which is required in order to get a drink at a bar in Utah.

As I wrote this post, I watched Tim Lincecum pitch a gem with 14 strikeouts against the Braves in a 1 - 0 win for the Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment