Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11/10 – REMEMBER





























Before we commence today’s blogging frivolities, I’d like everyone to reflect for a moment about what happened on this date in 2001. Remember those who were lost on 9/11 and the casualties of the subsequent wars. Also remember that those behind 9-11 are still at large, planning more diabolical acts against us and all who stand for freedom. OK, sorry for going deep, but remembering 9/11/01 is big deal to me.

It was raining with lightning when I awoke to the familiar banging on my door with a husky-voiced eastern European woman shouting, Hoos-Kippingk! Hoos-Kippingk! I got up and convinced her to go away because I was staying over another night. After paying $55.99, plus tax for another night, I decided to have breakfast at a highly recommended local establishment called Denny’s. I walked through the car-park with my PC tucked under my jacket to protect it from the rain. I had a great brunch called the Grand Slam and surfed for top attractions in Chicago. Then I came “home” and read for awhile until the rain stopped.

At about 2:00, I headed to Wrigley Park with the intention of taking a field tour and I encountered the typical last-mile conundrum. It took me 15 minutes to cover the first 15 miles and 40 minutes to crawl the final 3 miles through utter chaos. At times traversing though Chicago feels like riding motocross and the potholes nearly knocked fillings loose. I walked around Wrigley, but there were no tours this afternoon, so I decided to explore the hundreds of local bars and restaurants in the area. Each bar seems to cater to a particular college football team and all of them have dozens of TV screens and lots of avid fans. I chose the Slugger’s bar that had a group of IA Hawkeye fans. While enjoying a beer and 5 football games, I met Will Hahesy, his lovely bride, her sister and fiancé at the bar and we chatted for awhile. Welcome aboard my blog Will.

I headed-off to see Millennium Park, which is Chicago’s version of Pier 39 in San Francisco. They wanted $15 to park and I didn’t want to experience it that bad, so I took a few pictures and then headed-off to see if the White Sox were playing tonight. They were and I got a box seat ticket along the first baseline and a parking pass for $20 from a toothless scalper. I got into the park in the second inning and the Royals were already up 2 - 0. I grabbed a brat and a beer and when I got to my seat a man said “That’s my seat”, even though it was empty. I showed him my ticket and Sean explained that he had given the ticket to a toothless black dude in the parking lot. He was glad the guy got $20 for it. Sean, his wife and their married boys had all traveled 120 miles from Ottawa, IL to see the game. Sean owns a portable toilet business and he works 7-days a week. He and his family were very nice. We stayed through the last out, watching the pathetic Royals drub the even more pathetic White Sox. There was a scary moment when a kid was hit in the head by a foul ball just below us. He was carried out on a stretcher. An American Idol contestant sang during the 7th inning stretch and fireworks were launched when the Sox got their lone home run in the 8th. It was a good time and the weather was perfect; mid-60’s under crystal clear skies with no wind.

As I rode around Chicago today I noticed homeless people begging for change on roadway medians and there are even squeegee-people like you see in Manhattan. I thought all the homeless in these parts had begun their annual migration south to their winter nesting grounds in New Orleans? I contemplated why both cities have similar problems, but NYC is a Great City and Chicago is not. I can only describe it this way: NYC and Chicago are like identical twins that were separated at birth. Both were wild children, but NYC pulled its act together and continued to bathe daily and she wears make-up to cover the blemishes. Chicago went on a 50-year bender and still smokes way too much. However, in fairness to Chicago, she has nice attributes; you just have to look harder to see them. To provide a "Fair and Balanced" review of Chicago, here are my top 10 reasons why Chicago is a pretty good city:
10. Wrigley field;
9. The yacht harbors;
8. The nighttime skyline;
7. The sports fans;
6. The bars and restaurants;
5. The people you meet when you stop and talk to them;
4. The music;
3. The museums – The largest collection of Monet’s is here;
2. Millennium Park; and
1. Bratwurst with caramelized onions at the ballpark.

When I called home tonight, Anthony suggested I go to the Bear’s home opener tomorrow. I’m inclined to head east towards Cleveland and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I’ll decide in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment